500g mixed dried fruit
425g can crushed pineapple (drained)
50g glace cherries, halved
125g butter or margarine
175g soft brown sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
Good pinch salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g plain flour
150g self-raising flour
2 medium eggs, beaten
Oven: Fan 150ºC, Gas 2 / Standard 160ºC, Gas 3
1. Line the casserole with a pre-shaped 20cm deep cake tin liner, or line with greaseproof paper.
2. Put the first six ingredients into a mixing bowl and microwave on high power for 3 minutes.
3. Mix well, then add all the remaining ingredients and mix again.
4. Transfer to the lined casserole and level the top (decorate with a few blanched almonds if it is to be a plain fruit cake).
5. Cook below the centre of the oven for approximately 75-90 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out cleanly.