1. Well grease a 4-cup capacity ceramic bowl. Cut out rounds of baking paper and foil larger than the bowl to make a lid. Place a large saucepan of water on to boil with an upturned saucer or trivet in the bottom to sit bowl on. This prevents the bowl from cracking. Place the treacle or golden syrup in the base of the bowl.
2. Place the butter and sugar in a microwave-proof bowl, microwave until just melted then stir. Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beating well, then fold in the flour. Fold through the milk to just combine and spoon into the prepared bowl.
3. Cover with the paper and foil lid and tie down with string. Place the bowl in the saucepan of boiling water, place on saucepan lid and boil for 1 ¼ hours. Keep the boiling water topped up during cooking.
4. Carefully remove bowl from saucepan, remove paper lid and place a serving plate over the top of the bowl. Invert the pudding onto the plate.
5. Serve with vanilla custard.
Tips – The boiling water in the saucepan should come three-quarters of the way up the bowl. To help remove bowl from boiling water make a handle from string as well. Make a simple sauce to go with pudding – gently melt a little treacle with cream and a knob of butter.