Oven: 170°C / 325°F / Gas Mark 3, pre-heated
Fan Oven: 150 °C
1. Place the nuts into the frying pan over a low to medium heat and toast until lightly golden, remove onto a plate, cool and reserve.
2. Combine the flour, spice, cocoa and orange zest in a medium heat proof bowl and stir in the cooled nuts along with the cherries and candied orange & lemon peel. Set to one side.
3. Break up the chocolate into small pieces, place into a bowl and set over a pan of hot water to melt.
4. Place the honey and sugar with the brandy or rum into a small pan over low heat, once the sugar has melted bring the contents to a slow simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes.
5. Stir the hot honey syrup and the melted chocolate into the flour and nuts.
Combine all the ingredients well.
6. Lightly grease the fry pan with a little butter and line the base with a disc of edible rice paper. Tip the mixture into the fry pan and use a spatula to smooth over the top.
Bake in the centre of the oven for 30-35 minutes, the mixture will firm up as it cools.
When the panforte is cool before removing from the pan, dust with icing sugar and serve cut into thin slices.