1. Preheat gem irons in oven at 230°C
2. Sift the flour, sugar, spices and salt into large bowl. Dissolve the baking soda in the milk.
3. Whisk the egg until light and fluffy – about 30 secs.
4. Heat the golden syrup gently in a small saucepan, then add the butter and stir to melt it.
5. Now work quickly. Tip the golden syrup into the flour and mix with a wooden spoon – the mixture will be quite dry. Don’t try to combine it all, just tip in the egg, mix again briefly, then lastly add the milk and soda. Stir for a few seconds. It will now be a soft dropping consistency. Set the bowl aside.
6. Take the gem irons out of the oven, drop about ½ tsp of butter into each space. Drop a tablespoon of mixture into buttered spaces. Put the gems in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until risen and browned. Remove from the oven, leave for a couple of minutes and then tip out. Serve with butter and enjoy!
Caring for your Gem Iron Pan
Scrub out with hot water and scrubbing brush
Lightly oil with a light vegetable oil and place in low oven for about 30 minutes
If you pan looks dry, re oil and follow same process.
Store in dry place, if not used often, check and re-oil to keep out moisture. These are raw cast iron and can rust if not cared for.