1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Grease and line a round cake tin with baking paper.
3. Melt the chocolate, coffee, whisky, sugar and butter in a heavy saucepan over a low heat, stirring well to combine. When everything has melted together, add the ground almonds and beat in the egg yolks one by one, then allow the mixture to cool.
4. Beat the eggs whites until stiff peaks form. Stir 3 tablespoons of egg white into the cake mix, and then gently fold in the rest of the whites.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake at 180 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out only just clean. Caution not to overcook it! Allow the cake to cool in the tin, and note the middle will drop slightly, don't panic when it does.
6. Ice if you like! It is best served with a bit of cream and perhaps some poached berries to cut the sweetness.