1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Mix the apples, sugar, lemon geranium, cornflour and lemon juice in a large bowl.
3. Roll out two-thirds of the pastry and line the base of your pie dish, leaving a little pastry to hang over the edge.
4. Place your pie bird in the centre and fill with apple mixture. (Layer apples a little so they pack in well).
5. Roll out remaining pastry to form a pastry lid. Brush edge with egg wash, then invert the round and place on top of the apple, pushing the pie bird beak through (this is your steam release). Press pastry edge together using your thumb, then trim away excess pastry. Use a sharp knife to ‘knock up’ pastry edges as this helps the pastry to rise nicely.
6. Brush pastry top with egg wash and sprinkle with extra sugar.
7. Place apple pie in the oven and bake until the pastry is well browned and there are no damp looking patches, about 40 minutes. If pastry is browning on the top too quickly cover with a piece of baking paper.